Thursday, April 16, 2009

sewing in sets


It seems to me that I've been sewing everything in sets lately. Pairs, really. For Easter, along with completely inappropriate amounts of chocolate, I also made my girls some handmade gifts. The first set I made all started with some cute t-shirt knit tops that I got on the clearance rack at Wal-mart. The shirts were originally $9.98 each...I got them for a buck! Yep, one dollar! SCORE!!! And to make the deal even sweeter...the shirts were pink! A while back, I'm not sure when, I came across Orange Flower:Patterns & Tutorials with a super cute embroidery pattern...free for the using, of course. I couldn't resist it...I tried. And you know what? It turned out really cute. I opted for just two chicks (again with the pairs) because there wasn't enough room for all three. I must say that embroidering t-shirt knit is a little weird and took some getting used to, but it turned out just as I had hoped and the girls love them!

The next thing I made for the girls was a set of aprons. My sister-in-law gave me a small hunk of this fabric years ago and I never could decide what to make out of it. Well, you know me and aprons, so I thought that would be a good idea for the girls. And, well, those bunnies were perfect!

Another thing I made for my girls was a crayon roll. Okay, this didn't turn out exactly like I had planned but the girls still like them. I was going to use crayons but then I found twist up crayons...perfect solution for a crayon peeler...but I didn't consider their length. Ugh! They stick out past the top of the fabric and the pockets aren't tall enough so the twist-up crayons flop around....all annoying to me, but the girls don't seem to mind. I think I'll add a strip of coordinating material to the top and maybe a strip of elastic midway up from the pocket then tack it down between each crayon. That should do the trick, right?

The last set of things I made was not for Easter, nor for my girls. I made a new camera strap covers. One for my friend and one for me. What? Sewing for myself? Well, the reason was to practice once before I made a camera strap cover for my friend Kim. She just got a new camera and a beautiful piece of fabric for a strap cover. I didn't want to mess up using her fabric so I just had to make one for my camera as practice first. I used this tutorial from Made By Petchy that I used the first time. It's easy and quick...and it looks so cute. This is Kim's camera with the strap cover...fabulous fabric, right?
This is my camera strap cover. More stash busting! That is some of the material I had left over from Miss O's birthday dress and Theresa's baby gifts. I just love the bright yellow with bumblebees. It's so springy!!!

Kim took this picture of my camera (with her new camera) with it's new strappy goodness...thanks Kim!

What's on your sewing table this spring?

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

wow! you have been busy! that apron is adorable! the fabric was perfect for it.

Kim Yeatts said...

I LOVE my new strap!!! Thanks, Friend!