Tuesday, October 13, 2009

if you think i'm weird just say so::part one

the pictures are completely unrelated to the post but entirely too cute not to share

Part one...yes, I've got other weird things to share, but we'll start off with the topic of germs.
Okay, so I'm a little weird...but not as much as you think....I think. Since here in Virginia the virus that no one wants is spreading like crazy and the regular old flu season is upon us we here in the Clothesline household have a general "shoes off at the door" rule. It's not new here. Even before we had kids we adhered to the rule. It all started when we lived in Hawaii. Everyone took their shoes off before entering the house or at least left them in the pile by the front door. I suppose that was partly a Japanese tradition and one that never really crossed my mind. It was just the right thing to do. So after we moved back to the mainland the habit just remained.

Oh sure, it's a handy rule to have when it's rainy or muddy outside because it saves your floors and carpets from becoming filthy or wet. However, since having children and being more aware of then crawling and playing on the floor, the "shoes off at the door" rule makes even more sense to me. Just think about it for a minute. You've been out, let's say at a grocery store or your favorite shopping destination. What have you stepped in, stepped on, or walked through? Do you know? Did you go into the public restroom? Yeah, eeeww. Have you been at school or work all day? How about to the public library or even to the gym? Talk about the germs. Sure your shoes may look clean but really, not so much. Then you go home and walk around your house depositing who-knows-what on your floors and in your carpets. Okay, so having a husband who works in the mental health field and who is also surrounded and bombarded with numerous germs every day has made me more aware and quite frankly, weird about germs. I don't know about you, but I'd rather err on the side of weird...especially during flu season.
Posted by Picasa

So if I come to your house and take off my shoes, sure you may think I'm a little weird, but at least I left the germs and the dirt at the door. And just so you know, I am not alone. Regina wrote a little post about it here. Of course, she managed to make some cute slippers to wear around the house. I haven't done that yet...but they sure are cute. Maybe I should add those to my list.

So what do you think? If you think I'm weird, just say so. What's the shoe protocol in your home? Please feel free to share any helpful tips and suggestions. I'm just trying to do what I can to keep my family healthy and my home clean. Anything you have to add will certainly be appreciated. Happy Wednesday! xoANG

3 comments:

Zoƫ said...

I just hate to be in shoes so I always take my shoes off, so for that matter do my kids. I also take my shoes off at other peoples house. I do not think you are weird about this.... other things maybe ;) but not this.

Matthew Celestine said...

Very sensible. Its great to read about people who prefer shoes-off in their homes.

I have an whole blog about removing shoes in homes: Shoes Off at the Door, Please You might like to take a look.

Regina said...

I here ya sister! Makes perfect sense to me!!