Monday, October 19, 2009

time for soup

We just had a long week of winter temperatures. It hasn't snowed yet and I don't think it will any time soon. However, my body is in shock. One day it was nearly 80 degrees, we were wearing short sleeves and flip-flops, then suddenly it's cold, rainy, and overcast for days on end. The heat has been turned on. The summer clothes have been banished to the attic and the fall/winter clothes have been washed and layered upon us. Sock feet skating across the floor has been revived. And another blanket has been added to the beds. So what does all of this mean? Well, besides the fact that we may have a long winter this year, it means that it's time for soup. I came across a recipe the other day in the Sunday paper coupons. There was no particular product being advertised...it was just a soup recipe, a chicken soup recipe. Perfect! I had just baked a whole chicken for dinner and picked the bones clean to make chicken salad with the rest. But with the cold weather it seemed like soup was the best way to go. Here's the recipe...It was called
Mom's Chicken Soup Ingredients :: 4 cups chicken broth :: 1 cup shredded cooked chicken :: 1/2 cup uncooked extra wide egg noodles :: 1 stalk celery, slice :: 1 medium carrot, sliced :: ground black pepper to taste. Directions :: Heat broth, black pepper, carrot, and celery in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Add noodles and chicken, stir. Reduce heat to medium. Cook 10 minutes or until noodles are tender. Stir often.
I used Progesso chicken broth, the best one I've ever used. Next time I'll have a go at making my own broth. I had almost 2 cups of chicken left from the bird so I used it all. I didn't use egg noodles...I used Schar gluten free fusilli noodles. I couldn't find their tagliatelle pasta or I would have used that. Anyway, Schar makes the absolute best gluten free pasta. It has the perfect taste and texture of fresh pasta, it's not pasty or weird in texture like some other gluten free pastas that I have tried. So if you want to go gluten free with your pasta, I definitely recommend Schar. Oh, and one cup of uncooked pasta didn't seem like enough, so I added two cups. Also I cooked the carrots and celery until they were soft then added the chicken and pasta at the end. Gluten free pasta cannot be overcooked or it will be ruined so I set the timer at the end so that the noodles would be perfect. Now, this recipe made enough for my small family of four with just one serving left over. When I make it again I will double it so we can enjoy some leftovers. The girls loved it! Tim love it! I loved it! It was so good. Definitely a keeper.
(Here's a little something new I'm learning...it's good for cold weather, too!)

So what's on your menu when it's cold outside? Any good soup recipes you want to share? Any homemade broth tips? Stay warm. xo ANG

No comments: