Wednesday, December 1, 2010

book 'em danno

Can I just say, I am glad that Hawaii 5-0 is back on tv. I'm glad they kept the same music, it makes me want to dig my toes in the sand and listen to the ocean while eating li hing mango. The acting on the show, well, it isn't all that great from what I've seen so far, but I guess sometimes it takes a while.


It has been nice to hear some people on the show (locals, no doubt) speaking pidgin. When I was teaching on Moloka'i it bugged me for a while because I was trying to teach English grammar and it just didn't mesh well at all with pidgin. But now, hearing it on the show, I like it. I also learned to love it while on Moloka'i.


The local words, the inflection, the laid back tone of it all. I miss that. Now the scenery...oh, the beautiful scenery, it is probably the only reason I even catch the show every once in a while. It is fun to see places that I've been to many times. Places that I captured on film. Aaaahhhhhh, Hawaii. It is beautiful...and warm.


Anyway, that's not what I meant to talk about. We went on a field trip before Thanksgiving to the local sheriff's office. It was fun and informative. After meeting a couple of very nice deputies we all headed in for fingerprinting. My girls were a little apprehensive since they thought that was only for criminals, but they were quickly reassured that it was for safety reasons...and they wouldn't be carted off to jail.


A few lessons about stranger danger, gun safety, and dialing 911 and we were good to go. And no one got booked or tased. All of the kids had a fun time.
Now it's December and I can't figure out what happened to the rest of November. Not to worry though. I've got lists and fabric and gluten free flour. All I need is some time to get into the Christmas-present-making&baking groove. It's super windy and frigid outside today so this afternoon looks promising. xo ANG



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Zoƫ said...

Not sure where October went let alone November! I have been knitting like crazy and my wonderful husband is setting up a cookie making day for me so that I do not have to do it all. Sweet man! So I kinda feel in control, but that will end next week or so as Christmas gets closer;)