Tuesday, December 14, 2010

because we're nearly frozen

...we've been keeping busy inside. Well, mostly inside. I did wash the laundry today, which not only means that I don't get to use my clothesline because it's 21 degrees...or 5 degrees with the mighty gusts of windchill factored in...but it also means that I get to go outside to go down in my basement to deposit and retrieve the laundry. It. Is. Freezing. I am super thankful, though, that I do have a washing machine and a dryer that both work. I am immensely thankful that I have a warm house to spend this frigid day in...with slippers and scarves and cuddly blankets.
Let me just say that Christmas is nearly upon us and I do not feel am not prepared. Nor do I feel stressed about being unprepared. I've been sewing things here and there when time allows and in the evenings I've been crocheting. The crocheting is not gifts though. I am crocheting hats for my girls. Hats with ear flaps to be more precise. I have crocheted and recrocheted the same hat about 4 times because my girls have evidently inherited the normal sized head gene. I, in case you didn't know, have a small head. Fluffy, frizzy, curly hair...but small head. Hence the hair, I suppose.So hat one is almost complete...it only needs the ear flaps (which are in progress). Hat two is about 1/2 complete and larger than the first to accommodate an almost 8 year old sized head. Almost eight. Yikes! How did that happen?
Other indoor happenings....early morning, pajama clad girls making a music stand and mic stand for the singing of Christmas carols.
Also, lots and lots of playing fetch with the cat. He's got a new favorite mouse toy...a squishy little fake mouse from our halloween candy bowl. I had to snip the tail off because he kept trying to eat it. But chase and fetch that mouse he does many times each day. He'll chase and fetch until he collapses from exhaustion. It's quite entertaining.
Also, after reading on Regina's blog that elder berry syrup was so simple to make I had to make some of my own.
We've been a huge fan of elder berry syrup (sambucus) for over a year now. It's great for boosting the immune system and for fighting colds and flu. Read about it's benefits here. We've been buying it, but making my own is so much cheaper, and the recipe I followed made an entire pint.
There's a great video and recipe to follow here.
So, that's what we have been up to here at the Clothesline. More sewing, crafting, baking, and cuddling under fuzzy blankets sure to come. Oh, I also made a pumpkin pie...just because. Mmmmm. Stay warm. xoANG

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

BRRRRRRR. That's all I've got to say ;-)

Zoƫ said...

We have been up to about the same... well it has been a bit cooler here (21 sounds balmy to us.. .5 the other day when Elijah and Mark walked to school.... man I was glad not to be walking:)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.