Tuesday, November 18, 2008

i interrupt this holiday season....

...to ask for ideas, birthday cake ideas, that is.
Okay, I understand that Thanksgiving is less than two weeks away. I also understand that Christmas is coming very soon. But I need your help. With all holiday preparations and excitement aside, Miss O's birthday is the week after Christmas so my mental planning has to begin now! If I don't start thinking and planning now my brain will be filled with thoughts of egg nog, Christmas lights, pumpkin pie, wrapping paper...well, you get the idea. So what I normally do is ask her one more time what kind of cake she would like. If you know my little O, then you know that she usually chooses her theme for the next birthday immediately following her current birthday. And just so you know, she doesn't really change her mind. Last year, after her bumble bee birthday with cute bee hive cake and all, she decided that she wanted an indian pow wow birthday when she turns six. No, she hasn't changed her mind. Let the planning begin! This should be easy right? I mean, it's almost Thanksgiving so there should be plenty of indian...er, native american stuff all around. That's all good and fine, but the decorations and "fluff" are not my problem. My problem is the cake...the CAKE...THE cake! Here are pictures of previous cakes(made for O & E) so that you are fully aware of where I'm going with this.































Obviously I am not going for perfection. And also quite obvious is that fact that I'm not afraid to make a cake without a special pan. "Why are you saying all of this?" you ask. Well, I need ideas people...and even possibly links to great ideas. The cake is key. A tee pee cake? A totem pole cake? A likeness of Sacajawea cake? A pow wow drum cake? Any other ideas (which also includes your clever ideas on how to make said idea)? Bring it on people of blogland. I would love for my beautiful, snaggletooth, talkative, creative, inquisitive, almost 6 years old baby to have her cake and eat it, too!

4 comments:

Zoƫ said...

I was thinking tee pee cake, but I like the totem pole idea better. It would be easy. Just stack different size squares on top of one and other and make faces in it!! How cute. I feel your pain Elijah's b-day is also the week after Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah,I'm feeling good about the Pow Wow Drum cake. There could be dancing around it before the cutting. HOW!! Big G

Adrienne said...

I'm stumped ... I got to Kroger or WalMart for cakes! I'm definitly not letting H see this post ;-)

M. E. Yeatts said...

Awesome cakes!