Friday, February 25, 2011

echo

This morning's Bible lesson was based on Matthew 12:34-37. The story that I read to the girls was about echoes. It is always fun to hear an echo, to say different, silly things then wait to hear it repeated back to you. You know you've hollered in a valley or in a tunnel and heard your own voice coming back at you. It's fun! But when we apply what we know about echoes to our words and actions it becomes an issue of the heart. The verses we read today were very clear. The words we say and the things we do are the echo of what is in our hearts. Are they good? encouraging? kind? patient? loving? glorifying to God? Ouch! Not always. As a wife, a mom, a friend...what is my echo? Often how my children behave and what they say is an echo of me, my heart. The last verse we read, verse 37, says "For by your words you will be justified and by your words you will be condemned."
What a way to start the weekend. I will be focusing on my words and actions. I want my echo to be of a pure heart. I want my echo to be something that should be repeated.

No comments: