Wednesday, August 27, 2008

i might be...

...a redneck if I use a fishing tackle box...


...as my sewing basket.

Let me explain, ya'll...I used to do a lot of hand quilting when I lived on Moloka'i so I had a small sewing bag with just the essentials so it was easy to take with me where ever I went. Well, now that we're back here on the mainland and I am doing more and more regular sewing I was accumulating more thread, needles, notions for varying projects and they were all spread out among several little bags or piles in the closet. Ugh! It was difficult to find anything because I had to go on my own little scavenger hunt before the onset of each sewing adventure. So I decided it was time to invest in a sewing basket. I looked at several different sewing baskets that were cute, but they didn't seem to have enough compartmentalized storage or open space underneath for bigger items like rotary cutters and scissors. So then I thought ...hmmm....what to do? what to do? Oh, I know, maybe I could re-purpose Tim's tackle box. It has lots of little compartments and expands when you open it. But I couldn't take his tackle box, plus, it probably has a fishy odor...eeewwwww. So off to Walmart I went. And to my delight there were many choices with lots of storage, and they were so.much.cheaper. Albeit, tackle boxes aren't meant to be cute, because, after all, they aren't meant to be...they're for fisherman for crying out loud! However, since the ever so popular cuteness-outweighs-functional rule only applies to fabulous shoes I thought that I could certainly use a tackle box. Oh man, was I right! I love having all of my sewing stuff in one place. Having to organize all of my stuff really helped me get rid of unnecessary, old, broken, things that I saved for some long forgotten reason. Ahhhhh...organization, little compartments, a place for everything and everything in it's place. My only regret is that I didn't get a bigger one! So go ahead, judge me. Call me a redneck. Call me crazy. Laugh at my silly little tackle sewing box. I don't mind at all. Really I don't. I {heart} my box. If you've got any ingenious ways to decorate it or cover it to make it more, well, me, then bring it on. I'm certainly open to any and all suggestions that may or may not include sarcasm. :o)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paint Pens!!!

Kim S

Zoƫ said...

Hey if it works for you who am I to judge? ;) I think it is great. I am amazed that you can fit all your stuff in one little box. (Man I have to much stuff)!

How about contact paper. You could cut out cute little shapes and stuff.

Oh and I am still going to send you the Darth stuff, but I have not been to the post office yet... I know how hard could that be??? (hard... maybe... ok I am just lazy;)

Rebekah said...

Use what works :) Tackle boxes are a great organizational tool! I wonder if Martha ever did a special show segment on uses for them ;)

Since you posted in my original post about it, I'm letting you know it's time to wrap up the Summer Reading Groupies! Come by my blog to share what you read this summer.

Tracy said...

That is such a great idea....hmmm, may hve to borrow it. I am using a cosmetic case right now ( I know-lame) but it all I har at the time. I think I have an old tackle box though.
Tracy

Anonymous said...

Ang! I love it!

As for decoration? Decopage works well.

Adrienne said...

he he - that is too funny!

angela said...

Thanks for all of the suggestions and the great restraint in judging me! When it's decorated I'll let you know!