Friday, February 20, 2009

i think i can...

crochet a hat.
At least, so far it looks like I can. I found this great hat pattern over at Simple Beans and I just had to try it out. You've got to go check it out, I mean seriously, it's really cute. I know, I know, spring is right around the corner but it's going to be in the teens tonight and the weather guy just said there's a chance for snow showers tomorrow so I think I am justified in making myself a hat. Plus, it's great practice for pattern reading (all those abbreviations are challenging) and it helps me memorize all those different stitches. I was pretty excited about learning a new stitch for this hat...the front post double crochet...FPDc...the raised rows of stitches. I think my grandma will be proud of me when she sees this...assuming that it will turn out right. It's obviously going to be pink. Not my first choice since my jacket is chocolate brown, but pink is nice and if I make a little scarf to match then I just might look like a yummy bowl of neopolitan ice cream...Mmmmmmm, ice cream. So, as I was saying, it looks a little like a hat so far. I hope the finished product turns out as cute as my mental picture of it. Oh, and Adrienne made one of these hats last week with some really pretty blue yarn. She made the finishing band a little narrower but it turned out really cute. I really enjoy this whole crocheting thing, it's a nice compliment to my love of sewing. Crocheting is portable and it's quiet so I can work on it at night after the girls are in bed. Sewing, not so much...my machine is portable but heaaaaavy....and loud....she's a cute machine but she really is loud. If you ask me, I think she just likes to be the center of attention.

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

Oh it's beautiful! It looks so soft and yummy ... and warmer than ice cream ;-) I can't wait to see the band.

If I were you, I'd have a little talk with that youngest of yours ... or maybe she is your oldest? There is only one queen in that house - that should quite that hunk of heavy metal down ;-)