Tuesday, July 29, 2008

two little fishies swimming in the pool

"Mom! I TOTALLY swam!!!"...
were the first words miss O said to me after her first swimming lesson. Why didn't I do this last summer? I don't know. I didn't even think about it. I can tell you this...the girls will be having swimming lessons next summer, too. I love to swim (in a pool). I love to race my husband and any other willing participant (in a pool) because I usually win. There aren't many things that I win, but race me in swimming...come on! Okay, so it's not the prettiest swimming to be seen, but it's fast. Oh, wait, this post is supposed to be about my girls. I am thrilled that they are loving their lessons. The instructors are great! Encouraging, yet not wimpy. They have really gotten the girls to overcome their natural fears. We aren't around pools much unless on vacation so it is nice for them to gain some confidence and some skills. Putting their faces in the water...even dunking their heads in the water....practicing some kicking....learning to relax enough to back float. Oh the fun they will have when they are swimmers. The girls are not in the same class, which I thought might be a problem for miss E, but she's been doing great! Initially, on both days, she said she didn't want to get in the pool, but when I walked with her to the area where her class would be she let go of me and got right in the water with her instructor. Yippee! Miss O never missed a beat! She couldn't wait to get in. At the end of the two weeks of lessons I hope they have a love for the water....and a want to learn more. I've tried on several occasions to help them relax in the pool, relax enough to float or to try swimming...they've always enjoyed it, but remained a little tense and apprehensive. As much as I hate to admit it, I think it helps them to hear it and learn it from another person...a "real" teacher as they like to call them. Hey, as long as they learn to swim, I'm happy...as long as they don't learn to swim faster than me!
Aaahhhh...summer! Don't you love it?
Seventy-five percent of our planet is water - can you swim? ~Author Unknown

2 comments:

Zoƫ said...

I also love to swim and Elijah did a great job this spring in his swimming class. I am glad your are loving it and not to worry I am sure it will be at least a couple years before they can swim faster then you;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Great!! I am so happy that the girls love their swimming lessons. It will be wonderful to swim with them. BigG